Monday, January 31, 2011

A Quick "Curls" Product Review

I’ve adopted the rule that a lot of naturals adhere to these days to avoid product junkie-ism: don’t purchase a new product until your current one is gone.

I’ve been without a shampoo for 3 weeks (which means I hadn’t washed my hair in 3 weeks; can you say “trifling”) and decided to purchase the Curlicious Curls Cleansing Cream since I had read so many great reviews about it.  I was feeling extra adventurous when I went to my local beauty supply store and decided to get the Curl Ecstasy Hair Tea Organic Conditioner to go along with it.  It seems that these products are part of a system and since I had been gifted step #4 by a friend, I figured I was well on my way to a moisture-rich, luscious curl experience.  By the way, step #3 is a moisturizer and curl refresher for 2nd day hair.  I didn't bother purchasing this because the best moisturizer is water and I have plenty of that at home.  Ha!

Anyway on to the review...

The Cleansing Cream
I’m not that impressed.  I wasn’t weirded out by the lack of suds but my hair seemed to feel a bit stripped and there was no slip.  I checked out the website and saw this note: if you are a first time CURLS customer, use Pure Curls Clarifying Shampoo to get rid of product buildup of other products so that you get the best results from our products.  Oh…

The Conditioner
Instead of being happy Cathy and grabbing this conditioner like it was the last one available on earth, I should have read the ingredients label first before throwing down my cash on the counter.  This conditioner has soy protein and my hair doesn’t do well with any type of protein.  For deep conditioning (which I needed), the instructions specifically say to apply a plastic cap after application and use with heat for 20-25 minutes.  This can also be used for co-washing.  I wasn’t too impressed with this either.  Full disclosure: I wasn’t feeling well when I used this conditioner and the thought of sitting under a dryer for ½ hour was making me sick to my stomach.  So instead, I kept the plastic cap on for an hour.  Upon rinsing, my hair didn’t feel moisturized.  It could have been the lack of applied heat and it could’ve been the protein).

I won’t comment on step #4 because it isn’t even marketed for my hair type.  But all things considered, it did help with the definition of my twist out…I think.

I’m not going to totally give up on these products because I didn’t clarify, I didn’t use the conditioner exactly as stated and mostly because these products weren’t cheap.  I’ll report back again the next time I use them (as instructed) to see if I have better results.

Can I make a quick comment on the ingredients list?  I’m honestly giving Curls the side-eye because some of those ingredients don’t even sound all the way kosher.  For some reason when you market a product as “created with certified organic ingredients”, I feel you should be able to easily pronounce said ingredients.

Have you tried the Curls line?  How did you like it?

2 comments:

  1. This is the first shampoo and conditioner I bought when I decided to transistion. My gf uses it and her hair smells so good. I don't have anything to compare it to, but I love the way it smells and it seems to do t the job.

    I don't know that I used the exact same products as you. I got them at Target.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Babs - I heard (but didn't confirm) that the formulation of the Target products is different from the ones purchased directly from curls.biz or its distributors. But it is the same company. Glad to hear that it's working for you!

    ReplyDelete

What would you love to say?