The picture below is not of some tiny little spider-like bug that I found at my desk.
This picture, my dear friend, is of a dreaded fairy knot. Fairy knots (or single strand knots) are pure and simply, the devil - specifically to the highly textured hair community. I remember reading about knots and honestly, I didn’t really believe that your hair could magically coil upon itself or that two strands of hair could wrestle each other and create one. I was sorely mistaken.
Those jokers exist! And, I guess that’s where “fairy” comes into play because surely there’s a tiny gnome-like creature with wings that’s going around and tying these things in my hair.
I still don’t stress over it. If I find one, I just take a pair of shears and snip it off. No biggie.
What can you do to prevent knots?
· Keep your hair moisturized and seal the ends with oil.
· Limit wash-n-go styling – shrunken hair is more susceptible to knots and tangles than stretched hair.
· Use protective styles (twists, braids, wigs and weaves); and if that is not your preference (like me),
· Twist your hair at night and protect it with a satin bonnet or pillow case
· Or…straighten your hair. *clutches pearls* But really, straight hair just doesn’t knot.