Monday, January 17, 2011

Keep Dreaming



I've loved Dr. Martin Luther, the King Jr. since I was a little girl.  Pre-kindergarten, I didn’t love him specifically because of his service to us or even because of his “I Have a Dream” speech.  I loved him because we shared a birthday and way back when, we used to get off from school on the actual day of a holiday as opposed to the Monday after the holiday occurred.  That meant, that I always had my birthday off from school.  By the way, I think pushing all Federal holidays to Monday in order to have a long weekend is kind of whack.  I mean, it is nice to have a 3 day weekend but I would enjoy having (and sometimes NEED) a random day off during the week too.  I guess that’s what PTO is for, huh?  Oh okay, I digress.

When I got a little older, and really realized the significance of Martin Luther King Jr.'s life and the impact that he had on this country, I was proud to say that we shared a birthday.  And to this day, I still am.  Make no mistake, he was a flawed man.  But he saw an injustice and DID something about it.

So in honor of him, we need to "keep dreamin’", y’all.  And don’t just dream, but let’s really honor Dr. King by putting some serious work into making those dreams a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What would you love to say?